Sunday, June 23, 2013

Life after the school year

After the school year ended, things did not instantly become calm (refer to previous blog posts of remodeling projects in the Noah's Ark room and sports room and Julina's wedding/family reunion).  After everyone returned home after the wedding, though, things became amazingly, blessedly, joyously peaceful.  Wow - so that is what my life was like before last August?  Back to serene mornings working out in the yard.  To regular power naps.  To cello lessons in the afternoon in my delightfully cool studio.  To evenings wide open for sewing / movie watching.  The rest of my house painting is on hold because the only "have to" on my agenda has been preparing for the J.I. Young family reunion in Payson, Arizona this coming weekend and my two-week trip to London and Germany with my sister, Juli starting on July 1st.  So, in between my gardening, naps, and lessons I have
1. gotten new glasses and prescription sunglasses (my first pair in over 40 years!  LOVE THEM)
2. obtained an international driver's permit (gonna drive the Autobahn - hee hee)
3. sewn a neck pillow and face mask for sleeping on the plane
4. found pants at Goodwill to alter into capris.  I found some cute tops while I was there, too
5. prepared quilt squares for coloring for a service project at our family reunion. (cut out 13" squares of white sheets and trace cute designs found in coloring books)
6. arranged for a rental van to take Steve, me, Emily and her three kids to Arizona
7. arranged for lodging while we travel and while in Arizona (THAT has been a odyssey - lots of internet time on this one thing)
8. looked up places in Germany and devised an itinerary for my sister and me. Some of the time, we will travel with Juli's daughter Jamilyn but some of the time, she and I will venture out on our own (eeee - neither one of us speaks German!)
9. found and booked tickets to Hawaii - yes, you heard me - when we visit Beckie in September.
10. arranged for rental car and hotel in Los Angeles on the return from Hawaii - so I can attend my 40th high school reunion.  I am OLD!
11. applied stain to the deck with Steve - still finishing up that project. 
12. driven to St. Louis on Friday to help Emily pack and prepare to move.  She is NOT having a calm summer, poor girl. 
13. played in weddings - last week, it was a bride-zilla.  Yesterday it was subbing in TWO different string ensembles.  One was down in Argyle, Missouri (look it up - waaay in the middle of beautiful Ozark nowhere) and the other was near Harrisburg (under a canopy of beautiful oaks but in supreme mugginess).
14. watched the Harry Potter movies. I am currently in the middle of #6.
15. watched other movies:  Skyfall (loved it), Shallow Hal (yes, Kirsti, it was surprisingly good)

2 comments:

  1. It never seems to amaze me how much you can accomplish in just one day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked "Shallow Hal"! It was a big and pleasant surprise for me and I'm super happy you found it the same. Nice job on getting ALL of those things done. Can't wait to see you in Arizona!

    ReplyDelete