Sunday, August 14, 2016

Cello students old and new

Last Sunday afternoon, I went from having 15 music students to 14.  That is because Ethan Forte (don't you LOVE that last name) performed his senior recital and, in a couple of weeks, will be starting  at MU with a full-ride tuition scholarship in composition.  I will miss his lessons.  He was so talented!


 Out of the remaining 14 students, most are cellists.  I have four piano students and one violin student (poor thing). 

The Mid-Missouri Community Orchestra is starting back up later this month.  Last year, I got to play viola as we had Virginia (my dentist) for a conductor.  She LOVED the position and I loved being out of the hot seat.  Alas, she cannot conduct this year so she has passed the baton back to me. Unfortunately, we are losing one of the members of the cello section - Chris Ghan.  He was a former private cello student of mine.  I first started teaching him back when he was a 4th grader in String Project.  I then taught him privately until 2008 when he graduated from high school and went off to college.  When he returned to MU for graduate work, I recruited him for MMCO.  Now he leaves for Denver for doctorate work in religious studies.  He and his parents came for dinner Friday night.  One last photo with Chris.



Wednesday afternoon we had a really gully washer but look what came at the end.....

We saw this as Elise and I headed to a choir potluck.  She sings with the Memorial Baptist Choir (because our ward has not had a ward choir for over a year!) and families were invited to the gathering.  Mmmmmm - I ate too much!

I got to see the former MMCO conductor, Virginia, in a professional setting earlier in the day Wednesday as she had to repair a broken filling.  SO glad my mouth was back to normal for the potluck.

I glazed 16 pieces of pottery on Saturday.  I can't wait to pick them up on the 25th and start a new session.  

Movie report:  Steve and I watched Eddie the Eagle on Monday.  Thanks, Steven, for the recommendation.  Elise and I re-watched You've Got Mail on Thursday.  I sure love that movie (and it is so fun to see OLD computer technology).




No comments:

Post a Comment